Monday, October 13, 2008

me it and the Rock

the blood shot eyes stared steadily out of the darkness
the ground beneath shook with the pounding of its heart
its belly rumbled in expectation
its frame taut, every muscle stretched ready to pounce

my knuckles felt the strain
as the grip on my spear tightened
i could feel the cleft of rock behind me being bathed in sweat
it advanced, i retreated, what will be will be.

then like a flash it leaped and time stood still
i felt a rush of blood as i crouched below the cleft
engulfed by its shadow
even the feeble moon had given up

my hand thrusted out
and i felt its life ebb into my spear
its weight bearing on me the spear went deeper
i crept out of the Rock, it had saved my life.

No cheers no ululations
the trees hushed the crickets mummed
it was only the three of us
me, it and the Rock
the village, a distant memory slept on.
the poet

No comments: